Monday, August 22, 2011

What a week!

Well, we've been home from our wonderful Atlanta trip for about 10 days and it's gone by so fast that I can barely believe it!  I thought that last week would be a quiet one where at least the girls and I would be able to "recoup" from our travels.  Boy was I wrong!  The girls awoke on Monday a little cranky, and other than a trip to Mountain View to pick up Mikie and Ollie (our two poodle dogs), the day was pretty uneventful...until that night.  At around 9pm my sister called (on the house phone, and I immediately knew something was wrong) and informed me that Luis was taking her to the hospital because she wasn't feeling well, and was having some contractions.  I was told "not to worry, and to NOT tell anyone in the family since it was probably nothing".  About 90 minutes later, she called back to tell me that at 33 weeks, her water had broken, and she was in labor.  How's that for "don't worry, it's probably nothing"?!?  I immediately broke into tears worried and scared for my baby sister and my precious nephew, and began an almost all night prayer vigil for both of them.  Being the control freak that I am, and the "mother hen" type, I felt absolutely helpless being that I couldn't be there even if it was to just sit with my sister as she went through this process.  I kept my cell phone right next to the bed, waiting for any update from anyone!  I finally awoke for the day at about 5:30 and called my mom to see if she had heard anything.  For those of you who know my mom, she's up with the birds and had most likely already done a load of laundry and vacuumed the entire house!  Unfortunately, all she knew was that my sister had progressed a little bit, the anesthesiologist was on the way to administer her epidural, and that they were expecting a long day of Lyd in labor.   Since I wasn't sure how Lyd was doing, and I didn't know how much sleep she had, I was very hesitant to contact her, so I waited and waited for a word..ANY word on how things were going.  Finally I heard from her at around 7:30 and she was still laboring and hadn't progressed much since 5:30.  I told her that I was praying and to keep me posted with ANY news!  It was KILLING me to not be there with her!  At that point, I looked at the clock and realized that I needed to leave for Mountain View in 60 minutes.  The girls and I were picking up my father in law, to then go and pick up his sister from the airport.  Thank you Lord for caffeine!  As the girls an I made our journey to Mountain View and then back down to San Jose Airport, I continued to check my phone every few seconds (or as often as I could) for any update from my sister or Luis.  Word finally came a little after 10:30...my sweet nephew Logan Michael Guzman was born!  I got word as I was driving from the San Jose airport to Mountain View.  Thankfully my father in law was there to read the messages from Luis.  Although he was rushed off to the NICU (he was born at 33 weeks gestation), he was perfectly healthy and born at 5lbs 4 ozs and 17 3/4 inches long - pretty amazing for being born 7 weeks premature!  Isn't our God AMAZING????
As I am sure you can imagine phone calls to family members all over the country began and we were all joyously celebrating the new addition to the family.  It was such an emotional day, that by the time that the girls were ready for bed, I was ready too!
We awoke to a beautiful Wednesday morning and my girls were anxiously awaiting the arrival of their three friends.  I was helping my girlfriend out by watching her three kids while she went to work for a meeting.  The kids had a blast, and ironically it was easier to care for 5 kids then just 2!  Who knew?!? After a nice little nap, we headed to Mountain View to enjoy a wonderful dinner with Daniel's parents and Aunt Elizabeth. 
Thursday's activities were running the "boys" (our poodles Mikie and Ollie) to the groomer's, as they were in DESPERATE need for a bath and a hair cut, and then a few other errands, back home for lunch, and then off to a favorite park for some water play with friends.  The girls had a great time, and it's great to see that Samantha is starting to have and make friends of her own :)
On Friday, Daniel awoke early to take his parents to the airport for their trip(s) to Seattle and Las Vegas.  The girls and I went to a friend's house in Los Altos and had a great time (as always) playing and chatting together.  Due to the upcoming school year it would most likely be the last playdate of the summer.
So, as you can see, what was expected to be a nice lazy recuperation from travel, ended up being a crazy busy week, but hey, what do you expect?
~JRM~

No comments: