Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Well...we have a kindergartner!

Yep. Hard to believe, but Madison is now a Kindergartner. Who knew that 5 1/2 years could pass by so quickly! It seems like just yesterday that I held her tiny little body in my arms being 100% dependent upon me for EVERYTHING! Now, my little girl is growing up, and she's not so dependent upon me! She was SO excited to go to kindergarten, but at the same time, nervous and apprehensive.

Our school preparations began on Sunday afternoon where we did some final back to school shopping, and then back home to bathe and get into bed early for a good night's rest. Monday morning came so fast and my little girl who loves to sleep in was up and rearing to go at 7:00. We picked out her dress, ate some yummy pancakes, prepared her lunch and then placed her "homework" (that was given to her at "Back to School Night" the Thursday before) in her backpack and of we went!

We arrived and were happy to see Madison's BFF in the courtyard. They were definitely two giddy little school girls. We are so happy that the girls are able to be in the same class. I'm sure that knowing that her friend would be in class with her helped her with any fears that she had. As the morning bell rang, the children lined up and marched into class. All of the kids sat nicely on the carpet at the front of the class, while the teacher read a wonderful story about a raccoon that was also attending his first day of school. It was so sweet!
The kids were each given a sticker to put on the back of their hand, and then one for the parents. It was a reminder that mommy and daddy's love would always be with them. At that point it was time for the goodbye. Madison came up to Daniel, Samantha and I, and proudly said goodbye. At this point my eyes welled up with tears and I realized that my little girl is REALLY growing up. She is so independent, and I couldn't be more proud. So, we walked out the door and away the three of us went. Full day kindergarten is quite a big step for a little girl, so at many points during the day I checked (and re-checked) my phone just to make sure that the school hadn't called to tell me that there was a break down, and that I needed to go and pick her up. Proudly she made it through the day, and I couldn't wait ti pick her up at 3:30. So I drove up parked the car and found my princess waiting for me with all of the other kids. I was met with the comment that EVERY parent wants to hear on the first day of school..."MOM...why are you hear already! I want to stay and play with my friends!" On one hand I was disappointed becuase she wasn't ready to see me, but on the other hand, I was so glad that she wanted to stay and was having a good day - or so I thought!  As we walked away from the kids, she broke down.  She informed me that one of the little girls from her old preschool didn't recognize her on the playground AND she was STARVING!  Thankfully I had lots of love and hugs to give her for her "broken heart" and snaks and water for her hungry tummy.  The hungry tummy was easy to fix but the "broken heart" needed a little work.  I explained to Madison that her friend might not recognize her because in the year and 3 months since they saw each other, Madson got glasses and her hair cut.  By the time that we got home, the tears were dry, the heart mended and the tummy full.  So all in all, she had a wonderful day and enjoyed her first day of kindergarten, and couldn't wait to go back again.  So here we are anticipating a wonderful year at Valley Christian!
~JRM~

No comments: