Saturday, September 18, 2010

The dreaded topic of...BOYS!

Being any normal parent (some of you may differ) of a 5 year old girl, I figured that the topic of liking boys would be a little ways off.  Last night, that theory was proven otherwise. 
After a putting Madison to bed (Samantha was already down for the evening), I hear my name through the monitor.  I rush in to check on Madison as she was crying.  I asked her what the problem was and through much crying and tears she informed me that "none of the boys at school like me"!  In the few seconds it took me to process this minefield of a topic, I was able to hold back the chuckles and ask her why she thought that.  Now, while some of you may find this little dilemma trivial, those of you who know Madison already know that this is a HUGE problem.  Madison doesn't like to have anyone NOT like her.  In this regard, she's so much like her momma!  Thankfully, I was on campus earlier in the day, and when I picked her up it was not the usual drive up pick-up that we normally do.  I was having a meeting for her upcoming circus day (info to come later).  Samantha was with me, and when we "rolled" up to the playground, Madison was VERY upset.  She thought that because I was at a meeting, that she would get to stay for extended care (i.e. extra computer and playtime).  As we were there one of the little boys from her class poked his head into the Sit-N-Stand, and told her that he would see her tomorrow at school.  Little did I know, this little incident would prove very valuable later on in the evening.  Now, back to my story.  She proceeded to inform me that she has her one "boy" friend Ryan from her old school that likes her, but that she doesn't have any new "boy" friends at her new school.  Madison informed me that she isn't quite sure why she isn't "chased" on the playground.  Thankfully, I was able to recall the situation of the little boy who poked his head into the stroller, and I informed her that if he didn't like her, then he wouldn't be poking his head into the stroller or telling her that he would see her in the morning.  That got her talking and then she told me how she plays legos with another boy, Evan.  I think that she kinda has a thing for Evan, because he's the one that doesn't "chase" her on the playground.  Then she lowered the bomb question, "Mommy, how did you get daddy to play with you on the playground?"  Oh, the questions of a curious 5 year old!  Again, I gained my composure and told her that some 5 year old boys don't play with girls, but that as long as she treats everyone with kindness then I'm sure that they would like her.  She said, Ok Momma, and then leaned over and gave me a kiss and went back to bed. 

Well, now that the boy topic has been brougt up, I'm on my knees lots and lots!
I hope that you enjoyed this little anecdote!
~jrm~

No comments: